What documents do I need to get benefits?

Use the Document Checklist to learn which documents you should bring to agency visits. 


Human Resources Administration (HRA)

Cash Assistance

New Yorkers in need may qualify for temporary Cash Assistance on an ongoing basis or for one-time assistance to meet an emergency need.  Eligibility for Cash Assistance depends on a variety of factors such as income, expenses, resources, household composition, and immigration status.

Learn More About Cash Assistance

Fair Fares

Using the Fair Fares NYC MetroCard, participating New Yorkers receive a 50% discount on subway and eligible bus fares. Pay-Per-Ride, 7-Day (Weekly) and 30-Day (Monthly) Unlimited Ride options are all available.

→ Learn More About Fair Fares

Home Energy Assistance (HEAP)

HEAP helps low-income New York homeowners and renters pay bills for heating fuel, equipment, and repairs. These regular or emergency benefits do not have to be paid back.

→ Learn More About HEAP

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

SNAP (formerly known as "food stamps") provides food assistance for nearly 1.8 million low-income New Yorkers including families, people who are aging, and people with disabilities. The program helps families and individuals supplement the cost of their diet with nutritious foods. Monthly benefits depend on a variety of factors including the household’s size, expenses, and income.

→ Learn More About SNAP