What documents do I need to get benefits?

Use the Document Checklist to learn which documents you should bring to agency visits. 


Administration for Children's Services (ACS)

The Family Assessment Program (FAP)

FAP provides support to families and youth up to age 18 who are struggling with everyday challenges. FAP works to strengthen families, reduce conflict, and help families handle concerns such as a child running away, skipping school, using drugs or alcohol, or showing disruptive or dangerous behavior. FAP services are voluntary, and each family can receive an individualized assessment with a social worker who specializes in family crisis resolution.

Learn More About FAP

Prevention Services

Prevention services help families keep children safe at home. These services are free, voluntary, and available in every neighborhood in NYC to support families with children, from infants to school-age children, and youth to young adults. Services are tailored to meet individual needs and may include helping parents and caregivers with challenges like: mental illness, substance abuse, other special medical needs, domestic violence, and youth experiencing exploitation or risk. They also help connect families with concrete supports to meet housing, child care, or other basic needs.

Learn More About Prevention Services


Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)

NYC Child Care Connect

NYC Child Care Connect is an online resource to search for and compare child care programs in NYC. Families can sign up to receive text and email updates about the program.

Learn More About NYC Child Care Connect


Human Resources Administration (HRA)

Child Support Services

The Office of Child Support Services (OCSS) serves both custodial and non-custodial parents and guardians, regardless of income or immigration status, to lift tens of thousands of NYC children out of poverty every year. OCSS supports needs such as establishing paternity, locating parents, and child support.

Learn More About Child Support Services